Coordinate the district program for students in at-risk situations. Collaborate with district staff and outside personnel to provide educational and career opportunities for students at-risk.
Ability to interpret data
Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Ability to speak effectively before groups of parents, students, and staff
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
3 years experience as a classroom teacher
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Implement procedures and coordinate the process to identify and ELL and 504 students at all grade levels districtwide, including review of student data and testing of students.
- Develop ELL and English-as-a-second language (ESL) curricular documents and instructional support materials. Provide resources and materials to support staff in accomplishing program goals for the ELL and 504 programs.
- Work with other curriculum coordinators to establish and maintain challenging academic standards that will ensure that students learn English as well as content information and exit the bilingual/ESL programs within established timeframes.
- Consult with teachers to develop and provide ELL/504 students with appropriate course work through curriculum modification and acceleration.
- Observe classroom instruction and provide feedback and assistance to classroom teachers to facilitate improvement and innovation. Demonstrate teaching strategies with students in the classroom.
- Plan and provide staff development including sessions on methods for identifying and instructing ELL/504 students and enriched learning.
- Plan and conduct parent meetings (LPAC/504). Consult with parents, administrators, counselors, teachers, community agencies, and other relevant individuals regarding ELL/504 students.
- Evaluate the ELL/504 program effectiveness based on evaluative findings (including student achievement data) and recommend changes as need.
- Develop and implement procedures to identify and monitor ELL/504 students at all grade levels and ensure that the resources are in place to support student success.
- Provide resources and materials to aid staff in accomplishing program goals and work with district staff to develop and encourage participation in programs that support ELL/504 students.
- Provide information about the school district and community resources available to students and their families and assist them to access those resources when needed.
- Work with students, parents, and staff to ensure students’ academic success. Make alternative course work available to ELL/504 students through curriculum modification and acceleration.
- Provide individual and small group career counseling to ELL/504 students.
- Contribute to the development of program goals to reduce school failure and dropout rates.
- Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of the ELL/504 program and implement changes based on the findings.
- Meet with students to gauge the effectiveness of the programs.
Budget and Inventory
- Compile budget and cost estimates based on documented program needs and ensure that programs are cost-effective and that funds are managed wisely.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Assist with the collection, processing, and distribution of ELL/504 data and interpret this information for guidance, administrative, and instructional purposes.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required. Ensure that accurate ELL/504 and dropout data is reported through PEIMS.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and the local board policy.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
- Other Duties as Assigned
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals
Posture: Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of a mouse; occasional reaching
Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds)
Environment: Frequent districtwide travel; may work prolonged hours
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress