Perform general maintenance and repair of building structures and their mechanical, electrical, and sanitary systems throughout the district. Assist with maintenance of grounds. Responsible for the district integrated pest control management program. Oversee and apply pesticides and herbicides according to the district pest management policy.
High school diploma or GED
Clear and valid Texas driver’s license
Valid Noncommercial Certified Applicator license granted by the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA)-Training available
Knowledge of methods and materials for pest control and TDA regulations
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Effective written and verbal communication skills
Ability to operate pesticide application equipment
We are willing to train for this position.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Structural Pest Control/Maintenance
- Implement the district integrated pest control program for the use of pesticides, herbicides, and other chemical agents to control pests, rodents, insects, and weeds at district buildings and facilities.
- Ensure all pesticides used on district property comply with district policy and TDA requirements.
- Maintain inventory of chemicals, supplies, and equipment and order additional supplies as needed. Label and secure pesticides.
- Maintain files required, including pesticide application records, pesticide labels, Material Safety Data Sheets, and records of complaints.
- Participate in required TDA Structural Pest Control Service integrated pest management training courses.
- Assist skilled workers with repair and maintenance of district facilities, including repairing woodwork; replacing electrical switches, fixtures, and motors; painting, repairing, and replacing plumbing fixtures and drainage systems; and replacing broken glass.
- Inspect building exterior and interior, playground equipment, and grounds; perform maintenance and minor repairs.
- Detect and report needed major repairs on building structures and their systems, including lockers, furniture, and equipment.
- Complete repairs as directed on work orders or by maintenance foreman.
- Assist with mowing and detailing of district grounds.
- Move, install, assemble, and repair all school furniture and playground equipment as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Communicate with district administrators and staff about integrated pest management, including training, notice and posting, sanitation, and pesticide storage. Post an appropriate notice in district facilities prior to planned pesticide treatment according to TDA requirements.
- Respond to requests and inquiries relating to pest problems from staff, students, parents, and the public.
- Ensure all school employees who perform pest control have the necessary training and utilize appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Keep vehicle, equipment, and tools in safe operating condition. Inspect tools and equipment for safety and efficiency and perform preventive maintenance as needed.
- Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties including lifting and climbing. Operate tools and equipment according to prescribed safety procedures.
- Correct unsafe conditions in the work area and promptly report conditions that are not immediately correctable to the supervisor.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
- Maintain tools and equipment and perform preventive maintenance as required.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
-Tools/Equipment Used: Power and hand-held sprayer application equipment; hand tools; power tools; light truck or van
-Posture: Frequent standing, kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting; work in tiring and uncomfortable positions
-Motion: Frequent walking, climbing stairs/ladders, grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, and overhead reaching; frequent driving
-Lifting: Heavy lifting and carrying (45 pounds and over) on a daily basis
-Environment: Work outside, on slippery or uneven walking surfaces; frequent exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, dust, noise, vibration; exposure to chemical (pesticides) hazards, noxious odors; work around machinery with moving parts; may work alone; may work in tight or enclosed spaces; may work irregular hours; occasional prolonged hours; frequent districtwide travel
-Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress